Download/Playback Problems

Classic series from the 1970's
Habeas

Re: Download/Playback Problems

Post by Habeas »

I have downloaded the new Space Battleship Yamato 2202 files for the first episodes you've done. For the most part, they play just fine through VLC on my computer, but when I put them on a stick so I can watch them on the smart TV in the living room (larger screen, surround sound, etc.), some of the subtitles drop out during playback. I don't have the option to change video players on the TV like I do my computer, so I tried the same files on our other TV in the back room. The subtitles show up fine on that one, but I get a message on the screen that the (older) TV doesn't recognize the audio codec. So... final try, I plugged the stick into the (relatively new) Blu-Ray player's USB port, and the same thing happens that did on the TV in the front room - some of the subtitles play, others drop out. I can take the same stick back to the computer and the files play just fine there from that.

Any suggestions? I have experimented, trying to convert the mkv files I downloaded into another format like mp4, but the subtitles never show up in the new file. I -can- watch them okay on the computer, but would love to be able to watch them with subtitles on the big screen system.
Heibi2
Site Admin

Post by Heibi2 »

Habeas wrote:I have downloaded the new Space Battleship Yamato 2202 files for the first episodes you've done. For the most part, they play just fine through VLC on my computer, but when I put them on a stick so I can watch them on the smart TV in the living room (larger screen, surround sound, etc.), some of the subtitles drop out during playback. I don't have the option to change video players on the TV like I do my computer, so I tried the same files on our other TV in the back room. The subtitles show up fine on that one, but I get a message on the screen that the (older) TV doesn't recognize the audio codec. So... final try, I plugged the stick into the (relatively new) Blu-Ray player's USB port, and the same thing happens that did on the TV in the front room - some of the subtitles play, others drop out. I can take the same stick back to the computer and the files play just fine there from that.

Any suggestions? I have experimented, trying to convert the mkv files I downloaded into another format like mp4, but the subtitles never show up in the new file. I -can- watch them okay on the computer, but would love to be able to watch them with subtitles on the big screen system.
Unfortunately these were designed for vlc and mpc. The TV's may not be properly set up to watch them. If you can hook your computer into the TV you will have more luck.
Habeas

Post by Habeas »

Unfortunately, the home computer is in a different part of the house than either TV. Ah well......
Leedommel

Post by Leedommel »

Heibi2 wrote:
Habeas wrote:I have downloaded the new Space Battleship Yamato 2202 files for the first episodes you've done. For the most part, they play just fine through VLC on my computer, but when I put them on a stick so I can watch them on the smart TV in the living room (larger screen, surround sound, etc.), some of the subtitles drop out during playback. I don't have the option to change video players on the TV like I do my computer, so I tried the same files on our other TV in the back room. The subtitles show up fine on that one, but I get a message on the screen that the (older) TV doesn't recognize the audio codec. So... final try, I plugged the stick into the (relatively new) Blu-Ray player's USB port, and the same thing happens that did on the TV in the front room - some of the subtitles play, others drop out. I can take the same stick back to the computer and the files play just fine there from that.

Unfortunately these were designed for vlc and mpc. The TV's may not be properly set up to watch them. If you can hook your computer into the TV you will have more luck.
Don't know if this helps, but here's how I solve it...

I have some problems playing the files on my MediaCenter using Kodi. Playback starts, but hangs every few seconds. My guess is that the Hardware in my Media Center is a little too old/weak for the high quality format used.
I use Ubuntu to convert the File to a format my MediaCenter can handle, the software used is free, so possibly also available on Windows.

I just use the free Software "Handbrake" to convert it to h264 1080p. After this the video runs fine, but unfortunately the subtitles are not transferred to the converted File. So I also install the Software Package "mkvtoolnix" and use "mkvextract" to get the subtitles from the original file. Then use "Mkvtoolnix UI" to add the Subtitles to the converted video file. It takes a little practice and googling the first time, but you get the hang of it pretty fast.