Classic series from the 1970's

Re: 2202

Postby Okita » February 14th, 2019, 5:51 am

Bandai recently legitimized the name "Desvatator", by having it in english in the Mecha Collection set box, where it comes bundled with Keyman's white Czvarke. We could say its just a new case of "engrish" in the long list of model boxes with english mispellings, but given Czvarke has been the official name for the garmillan fighter in other sources, we can assume Desvatator is correct too. Though Deathvatator sounded way better.
Okita

Postby blanmgr » February 14th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Thank you Central Anime and Heibi,

It has been a long ride with the Yamato Series (Just one more round of 4 and it ends) and I really thank you so much for doing this. You have been faithful sticking with the completing the series and a lot of people do not finish what they started. What are you plans now that the series is nearly finished. Are you going to close down or maybe start something new? You have been doing this for a "very long time" and lives changed over time and on new adventures in life.

BL
blanmgr

Postby Heibi2 » February 14th, 2019, 10:22 pm

blanmgr wrote:Thank you Central Anime and Heibi,

It has been a long ride with the Yamato Series (Just one more round of 4 and it ends) and I really thank you so much for doing this. You have been faithful sticking with the completing the series and a lot of people do not finish what they started. What are you plans now that the series is nearly finished. Are you going to close down or maybe start something new? You have been doing this for a "very long time" and lives changed over time and on new adventures in life.

BL

We never shut down. We just look for something else to do.
Heibi2
Site Admin

Postby LuckyMei » February 20th, 2019, 5:32 pm

@Heibi

Another potential fix for the preview of episode 22 (in ep 21) as well as episode 22 is the line "Tell me... tell me how to break free from the puppeteer!" (PV for ep 21 & 12:40 in episode 22)
It gives off an odd assumption that he's talking about himself, as if he's sure that "he" is the one being controlled. However, I believe a different way of translating would be something akin to "Tell me... tell me how one can break free from the puppeteer!", or "Tell me... tell me, how does one break free from the puppeteer?" or even "Tell me... tell me, how would I break free from the puppeteer?"

My suggestions may not be flawless, but I did give them some thought. Hopefully me mentioning this line gives you some ideas, since 2 of my friends immediate reaction was "Oh did he just say he's the spy??" I don't believe the translation to be wrong per se, since what you translated is indeed what he's saying. But the meaning is slightly different, and requires prior Japanese knowledge to understand without being confused in my opinion, which I fortunately had to some degree unlike my two friends.
Thought it was worth mentioning, thanks for listening!
LuckyMei

Postby Okita » February 21st, 2019, 3:33 am

I believe that at that point Saito believes that Nagakura may be the one to have been compromised, hence the flashback to her launch from planet 11. He lashes out at Keyman because he wants to know how to save her, though all the signs always pointed to him.

My rather pessimistic outlook is that everyone saved at Planet 11 is a revenant, even the little Garmillan girl. Nagakura, despite the fact we never saw how she got injured, might actually be the only one that survived... I may be way off, and it might turn out that it's only Saito and that other guy sent to kill Katsuragi but....

One more week and all will be known.
Okita

Postby Heibi2 » February 21st, 2019, 10:29 pm

LuckyMei wrote:@Heibi

Another potential fix for the preview of episode 22 (in ep 21) as well as episode 22 is the line "Tell me... tell me how to break free from the puppeteer!" (PV for ep 21 & 12:40 in episode 22)
It gives off an odd assumption that he's talking about himself, as if he's sure that "he" is the one being controlled. However, I believe a different way of translating would be something akin to "Tell me... tell me how one can break free from the puppeteer!", or "Tell me... tell me, how does one break free from the puppeteer?" or even "Tell me... tell me, how would I break free from the puppeteer?"

My suggestions may not be flawless, but I did give them some thought. Hopefully me mentioning this line gives you some ideas, since 2 of my friends immediate reaction was "Oh did he just say he's the spy??" I don't believe the translation to be wrong per se, since what you translated is indeed what he's saying. But the meaning is slightly different, and requires prior Japanese knowledge to understand without being confused in my opinion, which I fortunately had to some degree unlike my two friends.
Thought it was worth mentioning, thanks for listening!

Thanks for the input. Ill look at it.
Heibi2
Site Admin

Postby Heibi2 » March 9th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Status update: Okay, my translator has the movie version to get an early start. But as always, how fast he can work depends on his real life commitments. Last time he was about done a month after the blu-ray release and I was a few days past my estimation of completing 19-22.

Note to new people who sign up to our forums: If I don't update anything, there's nothing to update. I always update our status as soon as I make progress. So please be patient and know that I will notify everyone when I actually have something to update you with. 99.9% of the people on here now that. That 0.1% guy no longer has an account here or is welcome here after his childish tantrum during 19-22's status.
Heibi2
Site Admin

Postby LuckyMei » March 10th, 2019, 11:08 am

Heibi2 wrote:Status update: Okay, my translator has the movie version to get an early start. But as always, how fast he can work depends on his real life commitments. Last time he was about done a month after the blu-ray release and I was a few days past my estimation of completing 19-22.

Note to new people who sign up to our forums: If I don't update anything, there's nothing to update. I always update our status as soon as I make progress. So please be patient and know that I will notify everyone when I actually have something to update you with. 99.9% of the people on here now that. That 0.1% guy no longer has an account here or is welcome here after his childish tantrum during 19-22's status.

As I recently visited Japan for 2202 Chapter 7 I've been thinking more and more about the show. So, here's another small constructive thought I had about the sub!

The stylistic choice to have a pause in the subs of episode 20 before the two storytellers say "human." Is spectacular, a choice me and my friends applauded for real. So in regards to it, I have a suggestion about a potential change in the sub timing for episode 21.
16:36 - 16:38 the subs "We are not machines." Appears. But if you go with a similar sub timing approach as episode 20 I think you could have it be like this:
16:36 - 16:37: "We are not..."
16:38 - 16:39 (ish): "-//-... machines."

It would make the moment even more powerful than it already is, and it wouldn't be a dishonest tool to achieve that purpose. In fact I believe it more accurately portrays the pace at which Hijikata says that line instead of spoiling his conclusion 2 seconds early.

Thanks for reading all these notes btw Heibi, you guys are great! I also have a copy of the episode 26 script now, would you guys want me to take some pictures of it to ease on the translation? I could even potentially scan it, but not sure yet. I'd only send it to you then Heibi. However seeing as your translator also seems to have gotten a copy of the 2202 cinema BD he probably has the episode 26 script already!

Thank you again for all your great work. While you guys are working on chapter 7 I'll try proof-checking some more stuff from the earlier releases. I hope it helps!
LuckyMei

Postby Heibi2 » March 10th, 2019, 9:28 pm

LuckyMei wrote:
Heibi2 wrote:Status update: Okay, my translator has the movie version to get an early start. But as always, how fast he can work depends on his real life commitments. Last time he was about done a month after the blu-ray release and I was a few days past my estimation of completing 19-22.

As I recently visited Japan for 2202 Chapter 7 I've been thinking more and more about the show. So, here's another small constructive thought I had about the sub!

The stylistic choice to have a pause in the subs of episode 20 before the two storytellers say "human." Is spectacular, a choice me and my friends applauded for real. So in regards to it, I have a suggestion about a potential change in the sub timing for episode 21.
16:36 - 16:38 the subs "We are not machines." Appears. But if you go with a similar sub timing approach as episode 20 I think you could have it be like this:
16:36 - 16:37: "We are not..."
16:38 - 16:39 (ish): "-//-... machines."

It would make the moment even more powerful than it already is, and it wouldn't be a dishonest tool to achieve that purpose. In fact I believe it more accurately portrays the pace at which Hijikata says that line instead of spoiling his conclusion 2 seconds early.

Thanks for reading all these notes btw Heibi, you guys are great! I also have a copy of the episode 26 script now, would you guys want me to take some pictures of it to ease on the translation? I could even potentially scan it, but not sure yet. I'd only send it to you then Heibi. However seeing as your translator also seems to have gotten a copy of the 2202 cinema BD he probably has the episode 26 script already!

Thank you again for all your great work. While you guys are working on chapter 7 I'll try proof-checking some more stuff from the earlier releases. I hope it helps!

I'd thought of it the first time. Now that I look at it again from your perspective I've made the change. :)
Heibi2
Site Admin

Postby LuckyMei » March 12th, 2019, 4:49 pm

That's neat, I'm glad the feedback was appreciated! :D
LuckyMei

PreviousNext

Return to Space Battleship Yamato